Do you think you know all there is to know about dogs? Check out this list of 23 random dog facts courtesy of mygavet.com and test your knowledge!
- Dogs have been known to poop in alignment with the Earth’s Magnetic field. No wonder it takes them so long to find a good spot!
- The Norwegian Lunde Hund is the only dog that has 6 toes on each foot.
- There is a town in Minnesota with a Dog as their Mayor. Duke won the popular vote and was made Honorary Mayor of Cormorant, Minnesota in 2014.
- The Labrador Retriever has been one of the AKC’s top ten most popular dog breeds for 25 years straight.
- A Border Collie named Chaser has the largest vocabulary of any other known dog. Chaser has been taught over 1022 names of items and can recognize and categorize them according to function and shape. Something a human learns to do around the age of 3.
- Puppies grow half their body weight about 4 to 5 months. This gives your Vet a good indication of how big they will be as an adult!
- The fastest breed is the Greyhound. They have been known to hit record speeds of 44 miles per hour.
- According to a study done by Cornell University, dogs were domesticated around 9,000 and 34,000 years ago.
- They also found that contrary to the idea that dogs evolved from wolves, they actually share a common ancestor. This indicates that dogs and Modern Grey wolves are more like sister species.
- The oldest dog breed is the Saluki. Just like the oldest cat breed, the Saluki originated in Ancient Egypt around 329. B.C.E.
- Dalmatians are born completely white. As they age they start to develop the spots that make the breed so famous.
- Over 50 percent of dog owners include their dogs in holiday photos.
- The Alaskan Malamute is not only the oldest working sled dog but they are also built to withstand arctic temperatures as low as -70°F. Yes, 70 Degrees below 0.
- One dog and her first litter can produce around 67,000 puppies in 6 years. Great reason to spay/neuter your pets.
- The Basenji is known as the ‘Barkless Dog.’ While they don’t bark they have been known to yodel.
- Dogs can be trained to detect cancer in humans.
- Dogs will reach their adult size around 12 and 24 months of age.
- Famous war dog, Rin Tin Tin was the first Hollywood dog star.
- Both the Boy and Girl Scouts have merit badges in dog care.
- Walt Disney’s dog, named Sunnee was the inspiration behind Lady And The Tramp.
- In Ancient Rome, Mastiffs wore armor and were used to attack mounted knights.
- Dachshunds were originally bred to fight badgers.
- Queen Elizabeth II has owned over 30 Corgis since 1945. They were also featured in the opening ceremony skit for the 2012 London Olympics featuring Daniel Craig as James Bond.
These are some fun facts about dogs. Once fact that is not fun is that HHS is at capacity. Please adopt, don’t shop and help a homeless animal get out of the shelter and into a forever home.
Barry KuKes is the Community Outreach Director for the Halifax Humane Society in Daytona Beach. He can be reached at 386. 274.4703, ext. 320, or at barryk@halifax humanesociety.org