by JoAnn Derson
- If you have a fish tank, you can use the fish tank water to fertilize your rose bushes. I do this, and it’s rich in minerals that the bushes love!
—A.U. in Alabama
- Make your own bed buddy hot pad with a long sock and rice. Use a sock that’s knee high, and fill it about two-thirds with plain, uncooked white rice. Knot it an inch or two from the top of the rice, so it’s nice and loose. Once it’s secure, you can stick the sock into the microwave for 1-2 minutes. The rice heats up and the heat is stored in the rice. It’s wonderful for aches and pains—or just for keeping toes toasty!
- Shower caps can be placed over a planter and used to make a kind of greenhouse for planting cuttings. Just water and place it in a sun-filled window. Be sure to check it often, because even though it may be moderate or even cool out, your little greenhouse can get pretty hot with only a few hours of sun.
- Loosen tight jeans with a cutting board! First, wash in cold water, then button them around something that’s about an inch wider than the waist, say, a cookie sheet, chair top, cutting board, etc. Air dry. It’s magical. —V.L. in New York
- When I was a kid, the side of my yard was soft sand, but it’s where my brother and I kept our bikes. I liked my bike to stand up, because it kept the sand out of my gears. The kick stand was sinking in the sand, and my dad gave me an old tennis ball that he had poked a hole into. I put it on the kick stand, and from then on, it stayed standing up. Thought I would share.
—M.N. in Florida
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.