By JoAnn Derson
- When painting, write the name and brand of paint under the room’s light switch plate. If you ever need to go out and buy more, you will know where to start.
—R.K. in Montana
- My family has always used mayonnaise as a salve on minor burns. I heard you can use toothpaste too.
—Sam P. via e-mail
- I keep grocery lists on my computer. When I am going to go shopping, I print out the list and fold the paper in half. Then I slip my coupons into the fold. Keeps them handy when I am shopping.
—Reader in Maryland
- Add these to the list of items to eliminate the odor of cooking cabbage: a heel of bread, a whole walnut, or a pinch of baking soda.
- To travel with pleated skirts, use this packing trick: Turn the skirt inside out and straighten all the pleats. Then tape the bottom so that all the pleats are held together. Next, feed the skirt into a leg of pantyhose with the foot cut off. You end up with a nice tube, which you can tuck into the sides of your luggage.
- When traveling for more than a few days, stick your plants into the bathtub with a little bit of water. They soak it up, and you don’t have to have someone come over and water your plants. This will only work for a week or less, though.
—John McF., Louisiana
Send your tips to Now Here’s A Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803