by JoAnn Derson
- Check your local newspaper or city/ county government for programs that provide free or near free water barrels or trees. Many areas have a program, and they really do help keep your water costs down if you have flowers or vegetable gardens.
- To keep the edges of lettuce from browning, tear it or use a plastic knife sold just for this purpose. Metal will make the edges brown.
- If you want same-size cookies, roll and freeze your dough for 10-15 minutes. Most doughs will harden enough to slice into perfectly uniform slices, and the freezing doesn’t really affect cooking time too much. (Watch your first batch, though.)
—R.L. in Missouri
- If you are reattaching a button to shorts or pants, try using dental floss, the unwaxed kind. It’s much stronger and can hold the button better than regular thread. Use a marker to darken it if the color is an issue.
- • Shaving cream can be used as a spot remover for many carpets. Use only a small amount, and follow up with a damp cloth.
- To prevent a skin from forming on the top of a can of leftover paint, you can inflate a balloon and stick it in the can, cut a piece of wax paper to fit, or store the can inverted, so that the skin will form on the bottom and stay there when you flip it.
—W.B. in Alabama
Send your tips to Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.